Sometime in February 2010, I went to a "date auction" that some of my classmates put on as a fundraiser. The big prize of the night was 2 club tickets to a UL Big East game in the Yum center for the 2010-2011 season. I didn't have a specific number in mind as for how high I wanted to bid- but the bids went up and up and I somewhat unexpectedly had the highest bid at $200. My internal reaction was "uh oh, I have to spend $200 now." lol
I knew early on I wanted it to be a surprise for Jeff, so I used the excuse that it was a school expense of some kind. When the season schedule was released, I was looking for a game around Valentines Day that would be worth the price. I ended up deciding between Syracuse, UConn, and Pitt. Pitt was the latest game but Pitt was also predicted to be the Big East champion. I was hesitant to pick a game we were predicted to lose, but Dad thought I should go for that one anyway. I started giving Jeff hints in the month before V day. I told him his gift was expensive. I told him I bought it a year early. I told him that he wouldn't get it until after V day. lol. I gave the tickets to him on V day. It was a surprise, but the fulfillment of its worth was to be seen.
The game was a white out, and I wanted to get nice and dressy for the rich section. My outfit wasn't incredibly awesome, but I got to wear a top that will probably not get a lot of use and I loved that we had matching hats...
When we got there, it was surreal. First of all, we got to take the escalator to the lower levels (very odd). The route to the section was really different from the upper level. We were right on the end of the middle section, facing the benches and at the same angle as the tv cameras. Thoughts that came to mind as we found our seats:
"Oh my god it looks like it does on tv but more up close!"
"Oh wow we can actually see the student section!"
"Oh wow the players almost look like real people!"
"Oh my gosh this is like watching a game in a gym or something!"
The cut out heads were everywhere and were awesome. The atmosphere was fantastic, although we were definitely surrounded by more conservative fans than usual. The guy in front of us told Jeff that he wore hearing aids and Jeff's clapping was killing him. So that's why they don't like noise down there..., I thought. The game flew by because there was so much to be stimulated by. I tried to get on the camera every chance I got, but there weren't many cameras pointing to our side and we didn't have Saia on us to be our cute little kid. I got pointed to once while dancing enthusiastically, but they didn't project it :(. I was mostly disappointed because I had promised to my classmates that I usually sit by that they would see me dancing on that darn screen.
The seats were cushion-ier, there was wood armrests on the end of the row, and there were cupholders! Woah. The club under the seats was seriously a club, complete with fancy decor and furniture, and much more alcohol options than the regular concessions. Jeff said he felt spoiled by the experience, and already thinks we should make it a yearly occasion.
The game as anyone who watched should know went fantastic. It was low scoring, but L'Ville kept the home winning streak alive against the 6th ranked and current Big East champion Pitt. We got the pic a couple up right before the technical shots at the end. Love it. It's gonna be my new fb profile pic soon as I get back on there.
The rest of the pics are here: https://picasaweb.google.com/l.b.cornwell/PittGame11#
1 comment:
Fun! Alex and I still would like to join you all somtime!
Post a Comment