Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lady Gaga concert

Who knew that spring break would leave me with so little time to do things like post one of the blogs on my to-do list??  I stayed up til 2 way too many times and didn't even sleep more than 7 hrs most nights... Gosh, I have three blogs I need to get out quick so I don't forget what I wanted to say...

Just over a month ago, my big sis Jenn texted me about getting tickets for Lady Gaga.  I told her that I had friends going (Chris and others), but it was super expensive and I considered $50 my upper limit on concerts... She said she'd help, so I replied, "If you insist."

dang she looks good dark-haired! Leotard.


We looked at ticketmaster, craigslist and some random ticketing site and ended up getting floor tickets for one of the cheapest prices I found (which was not cheap).  They were even cheaper than what tickets in the upper levels were asking for.  Best place in the house?  In my opinion: totally.

No pants. Crazy eye make up.  Random sculpture accesory.


Block week was the week before spring break and the concert, and throughout it I kept distracting myself thinking about how I needed to plan my Gaga outfit. lol.  Actually, I was dreading what it was going to involve getting one ready.  I had thought that I would probably spend a day searching vintage stores and synthesizing some wild hairdo.

Leotard.  kind of tights.  crazy lipstick.

 However, I ended up throwing one together with stuff in my closet the night before the concert.  After I did research, I concluded that Gaga doesn't like pants, loves leotards, loves tights, and often times will just settle for lingerie.  And when she's dressy like at an award show, the key to her outfits is using random sculpture like accessories and pointy shoulder objects.  I briefly considered incorporating a freaky looking masquerade mask I got in Venice way back when, but ended up passing on that.  I decided I'd go with no pants (only leggings) and a strapless top.  I meant to wear my ridiculous heels but ended up chickening out.  Even after this though- I didn't look gaga-ridiculous enough.  I went to Michaels to look for accesorizing objects, and picked out some pink and white fake flowers and pearly like beaded things (she wears pearls a lot too).  I sewed them on in the few hours before the show.  Didn't end up having time to add as many as I would've liked.


I think I ended up looking a bit more fairy-like than gaga-like.  If I would've had time to sew on all the flowers and finish my flower hair piece, it would've been better.  For make up, I noted that she either went crazy with eyes or crazy with lipstick.  I ended up using my brightest pink eye shadow (hence the flower color selection) and tried to dramatize it laterally from my eye commisures.  I mostly just winged that, as there still is a lot that I could learn about eye makeup techniques....


Fast-forwarding to the show, finally.  The floor was impressive.  There was hardly anyone down there compared to the stadium as a whole- maybe only 300/20,000 people.  Who doesn't want to be in a free moving area that technically gives you the ability to get as close to Gaga as you want?  Sure, we had to stand, and sometimes stand on our toes, but entire stadiums stand at concerts, and I got [relatively] great pictures of Gaga on stage.  There were some great costumes, but also a lot of people that looked fairly crappy, whether they had just got the outfit wrong or were wearing clothes that weren't made for their forms...

 I'd been to a show like Gaga's before- one that focuses a lot of theatrics and a theme: Kanye West back in 2008.  That was good too. lol.  Gaga had a nice drawn out storyline to her show, and as many set changes as she had outfits (actually, about 1 set/2 songs and 2 outfits/1 song). She had nice dialogue between each song, and spoke in a really surreal fashion.  It was hard to know how much was staged and how much wasn't- but it seems fair to assume that it was probably mixed.  Regardless, she had some fantastic messages to share and brought a tear to my eye at one point... (gosh, I cry about everything huh).  I posted one dialogue video.

firework boobies and the official monster.

The whole show seemed too good to not be largely staged.  It did seem convincing that she was really singing.  Perhaps there really are people out there who are so talented that they can do flips and sing in key at the same time.  One of my friends said they noticed she had a back up singer for parts.  I have a brief video of "Love game."  I wish I would've thought to record more songs.


I wish I would've took more pictures of the big screens.  A lot of my pics/videos are washed out from the lighting, but more importantly, there was some awesome interludes during set changes.


I think it was a great time for me and Jenn.  We got ready together, rode together, got a beer together, and danced (kind of) together. lol.  It's fun doing grown up-ish stuff together, and I can't wait til she's back in Louisville so we can hang out more :).


With my other friends at the show (who were in the nosebleeds), we had considered going to the bars afterward but ended up settling for Ramsi's since we had a minor with us.  I would've loved to go to Connections after the show- a giant gay bar 5 blocks from the stadium that was sure to be crawling with "little monsters."  The cover may have been pretty high and it was probably super crowded, but that didn't bother me...  What did bother me is that we found out at 3AM that Gaga had went to Connections.  She apparently did mini performances and bought everyone drinks.  Wow.






The rest of my picasa album is here: https://picasaweb.google.com/l.b.cornwell/GagaMarch122011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJyag6Kwl9yUpgE&feat=directlink

No comments: