Friday, March 11, 2011

Chicago 2011 Auto Show

I've been keeping a list of blogs I want to post, and I try to do them chronologically so this is a few weeks late...This is the last thing I'm doing before I go to bed.  I'm drained from block week but am trying to squeeze a bunch of things I've been putting off into this evening before I crash.  Even though I have to wake up at 8 to go take the Path shelf.  bleh.  So!

The auto show was simply a fun thing to do on a Saturday with a handful of friends.  We woke up early to drive to Chicago and got home super late.  I slept like 8 hours over 3 days or something.  Other than the auto show we went to a restaurant off Michigan ave, a starbucks, an urban outfitters (woooooooooooah.  Please come to Louisville.  I got another cute black dress <3), and millennium park. Christine has pics on FB.

I wanted to make a post just to compile a list of Jeff and my favorite cars from the show.  Unfortunately, our tastes haven't adjusted to like family friendly cars, so you may notice none of these choices are very reasonable for our to-be-growing family.  Oh well.  There will be time for that.

The car we'd get during residency to replace Jeff's `01 Neon:
Hyundai Veloster - ~$17K
If we each got one, Jeff would get the orange and I'd get the green:
So good looking.  Pretty small back seat... but soooo good looking.  And all of these new cars have all of the media stuff standard.  Dang right.

The car I'd get as an attending when money isn't much to worry about:

Lexus CT 200h ~$30K I think
Loveeeee the color, daybreak yellow (or pee according to Chris).  It's actually a hybrid too.  And beautiful.  I didn't think I liked Lexuses because in Louisville the only people who drive them are pretentious white conservatives, and they are always silver SUVs.  I honestly wasn't sure Lexus even made non-SUV cars.  They had a lot of nice Lexuses there actually...

Jeff's favorite car right now:
Dodge Challenger ~$25K
He probably wouldn't actually care for the stripe.  Pretty cool looking car though.

When we were in the VWs, I saw a hard top convertible that looked pretty nice (don't think I'd seen one up close before).  I mentioned to Jeff that if we ended up somewhere warm, we'd probably have to get a convertible (of course).  Chris said it was probably the:
Volkswagen Eos - ~$33K
Very pretty.  I mentioned that it would be our "fun car."  Later, when we were in Mazda, Jeff told me what the real fun car would be (I'm updating this now that Jeff commented below):
Mazda RX8 - $33K
 I don't know what makes it special.  It is pretty.  Chris says this is like every guy's favorite car.  Hmm.

The show was fun.  Not as redundant and lengthy as I expected over the 5 hours there. Every manufacturer had something unique but fitting to our tastes (2 doors, compact, nice wheels and headlights).  Plus its nice in general to try to become more familiar with the new stuff on the market.  Going again next year if we can.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

The Neon is a 2000, not a 2001. Very important. My 5 speed tranny is superior to the 01.
Also, our real 'fun' car was the RX-8: sexaaaay.