Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mama's day

Two years ago was my first mother's day, and it didn't occur to Jeff that it meant he was supposed to do something special.  I've made a point to remind him this and last year.  That's just the first thing that has came to my mind as I begin this post.

Note the shoes...they really cool


So I ask him today what he's got for me, and he says, "I meant to get something yesterday...," and then a little while later while he was working in the yard he picked a nice pink rose for me out of our garden.  At first I had thought he had stole it from the neighbors- but nope, it was just a nice, pink, sweet smelling rose that belonged to us already.  I decided that the fossil purse I got for myself a couple of nights ago would be good enough :).

BEAUTIFUL

I spent the day on the porch. Working, studying, entertaining Saia, and mostly just enjoying the day.  In the afternoon my mom and grandma stopped by to see a few plants Jeff and I bought yesterday.

Schlafly Raspberry - Try it

Yesterday, we were at an ACE hardware getting things for projects around the house and we decided to splurge a bit.  We got a push broom (!), a pair of loppers (omg wonderful!), a bulb for the aquarium, a giant piece of glass for a frame I've been putting together slowly over the past year, a piece of plexiglass to fix our garage door, and a bunch of dirt and plants.  Everything has made it in the house except for the aquarium bulb and the giant piece of glass, which were unsuccessful endeavors...stupid excessively-breakable things.



I knew I could get away with splurging ($34, lol) on plants and gardening stuff if I made one special purchase: I picked out a nice big tomato plant for Jeff.  He complains how the tomatoes he buys always go bad before he gets to use them (as does most of our produce, unfortunately).

what's it called?  Couldn't tell you.  Ask me later.

 I always want to buy plants when I see them, but I think I've largely convinced myself that gardening is too hard.  I tend to always over or underwater my plants.  I have no concept of plant food.  And I've never successfully transitioned my plants from one season into the other.  I tried to grow some food seasoning plants last year- but that was a complete failure and if you ask me growing things from seeds is impossible.  But, its a hobby that I know I'd love if I could just teach myself enough about it to keep up with it.  All of the flowers I picked out yesterday were to go in pots outside, but I need more plants for my indoors.  Indoor plants are the ones I have a really hard time with though.



Lucky for us, we didn't have to become gardeners to have our own- the garden at our house was one of the most beautiful things about it when we bought it.  The stonework and organization most definitely add value to the property.  Crazy enough, whoever planted our garden put in the most work-free plants anyone could ask for.  Everything we have blooms at some point in the spring or summer, and there is always something in bloom it seems.  Our work has mostly just been cleaning up the leaves and the ungodly amount of helicopters from the oak tree above our yard every spring.  And that is plenty of work if you ask me.

look what my camera can do!!! amazing! see tomato

After we bought the plants and things yesterday, we had somewhere to be, but before we went we both wanted to do all of our projects.  Jeff fixed the garage door, did an unnecessary amount of tree trimming, planted the tomato plant, and swept up my aquarium bulb.  I arranged and planted all of my flowers in pots.  We made a special barrier for the tomato plant to protect it from animals and Saia out of crap from around the house: an old door screen, some random piece of metal, a couple hangers, and a broom pole.

Kasha: officially our outdoor cat as far as we are concerned


Finally, I had to go ahead and make a post about today because I managed to take a nice series of pictures.  I ignorantly discovered a number of options my camera has that I'm going to be taking advantage of all the time.


Counting the hobbies now...blogging, photography, trainspotting, homemaking... gardening?

No comments: